NEXT EXAM SESSIONS: (Run by NEAR and CC-ARC)
- Note – although we accept walk-ins, you should email us your intention to come, in case of unexpected closings or postponements.
Thur. May 24, 2018, 6:30pm – Public (At the Clay Center, Brookline.)Cancelled
- Thur. May 31, 2018, 6:30pm – Public (New location: New England Sci-Tech, 16 Tech Circle, Natick.)
- Mon. June 18, 2018, 6:30pm – Public (New location: New England Sci-Tech, 16 Tech Circle, Natick.)
- SAT. June 23, 2018, 6:30pm – Public (New location: New England Sci-Tech, 16 Tech Circle, Natick.)
The Clay Center Amateur Radio Club holds seasonal exam sessions in the Clay Center under the VE Team of New England Amateur Radio, Inc. (NEAR). Generally, we will offer one at the Clay Center in Brookline at the end of the Fall, Winter, and Spring student training sessions. We also offer regular sessions at New England Sci-Tech, 16 Tech Circle, Natick. Most sessions are held on a weekday evening at 6:30 pm Eastern Time. (Doors open at 6:15.)
PARENTS: Download a concise After School HAM RADIO FAQ for Parents discussing exams, how your child may participate, the benefits and opportunities, and links to other resources. A “must read” for parents who have children who want to get their HAM radio license.
BONUS: Children under 18 may apply for a waiver of the $15 exam fee through generous funding sources. Anyone who passes the exam at the Clay Center may request a pass to join the MMRA (Minuteman Radio Club) free for the first year. All children and their parents are welcome to join the Clay Center Amateur Radio Club for free.
WHAT TO BRING TO THE FCC EXAM:
- A legal photo ID such as driver’s license or passport. If no photo ID is available, two forms of ID must be presented:
- birth certificate (must have the appropriate seal)
- social security card
- library card
- bank statement, utility bill, or business correspondence that specifically names the person
- Under-18 students may bring any of the above items and/or a school ID, report card, or a legal guardian may present a photo ID. (Note: it is not recommended that young children handle original documents. Parents please call ahead to discuss the best way to verify ID for children.)
- Federal Registration Number (FRN) or your Social Security number (SSN) to be submitted on the exam application. If you prefer not to give your SSN at the exam session, then you must register for an FRN before the exam. Visit the FCC’s Registration page and click “Register for an FRN.”
- Upgrading to a new license class? You must bring the original and a photocopy of your current Amateur Radio license and/or any Certificates of Successful Completion of Examination (CSCE) you may hold from previous exam sessions. The photocopy must be submitted with your exam application. You keep the original.
- Bring two pencils with erasers and a pen. (We will have some in case you forget.)
- A calculator with the memory erased and formulas cleared. You may not bring any written notes or calculations into the exam session. Slide rules and logarithmic tables are acceptable, as long as they’re free of notes and formulas. Cell phone must be silenced or turned off during the exam session and the phone’s calculator function may not be used. In addition, smartphones, tablets, and all similar electronic devices with Internet capability may NOT be used.
- Check or cash for exam fee(s). Normally the exam fee is $15 for one attempt at all three license elements. However, if a candidate does not pass a test and wants to re-test for the same element, an additional fee will be required. Checks must be made out to New England Amateur Radio, Inc. Youth and full time students may receive a grant through New England Amateur Radio Inc. to cover their fee – just ask us at the exam.
- Exam Application (optional). You may save time by filling out the application FORM 605 interactive PDF ahead of time. Do this on a computer, then print the paper double sided and bring it to the test session.
PRACTICE SITES: If you would like to practice the test on-line before taking the real one, visit this page of resources.
CONTACT: For more information, or to reserve a place at the exam, contact Bob Phinney, at 617-751-3618 or email bphinney at dextersouthfield.org.